Well, this theme is very important nowdays and can have a lot to discuss , we will get focus on DevOps Tool Vagrant and how he can agile our software development life cycle.
First let's talk about , devops.
What are DevOps ?
DevOps is a "new" term for a group of concepts that, while not all new, have merged into a movement and are rapidly spreading throughout the technical community. DevOps covers lots of concepts , by so ,some people have somewhat confuse and sometimes contradictory definitions of itself.
Where it came from?
In a practical way DevOps are a mainly merge of two major trends "agile system administration” or “agile operations”, this first term comes out from applying newer Agile approaches to work operations, the second one is a much expanded understanding of the value of collaboration between development and operations staff throughout all stages of the development lifecycle when creating and operating a service, and how important operations has become in our increasingly service-oriented world.
Agile software practices are introduced in the Agile Manifesto, and described here by the Scrum Alliance explaining the relationship to ‘DevOps’, the integration of software development and operations management.
- DevOps is the practice of operations and development engineers participating together in the entire service lifecycle, from design through the development process to production support.
- DevOps takes the the best practices of ‘Continuous Integration’ and ‘Continuous Deployment’ that are central to the ability to rapidly deploy new software iterations via a much faster cycle.
- DevOps is simply extending Agile principles beyond the boundaries of “the code” to the entire delivered service.
Stackify say that Agile and DevOps combine the full lifecyle of translating business ideas into working code running in the Cloud hosting delivery environment.
Infrastructure as Code
In a cloud perspective DevOps fundamentally bring the idea of Infrastructure as Code , we can automate the processes of our code containers with high level languages,so that we don't have to build and rebuild infinite times any environment on our software lifecycle process.
From a research conducted by Puppet Labs with the IT Process Institute, they benchmarked over 1,500 IT organizations and concluded that high-performing IT organizations were on average:
- 5-7x times more productive than their non-high performing peers.
- They had 4x fewer repeat audit finding.
- They were 5x more likely to detect breaches by an automated internal control
- And had 8x better project due date performance!